"Shyness" redirects here. For other slime behaviors, see Slime behaviors.
|“||Keep one in your boot and you'll always stay cool. But it's weird.||”|
— the Slimepedia
Puddle Slimes are aquatic Slimes that can spawn and float in shallow pools of water. On The Ranch, they require a specific habitat to survive, but can also thrive in the natural pond at The Docks, the river at Mochi's Manor and the artificial pond at Viktor's Lab.
Because of their similarities, they are often considered to be a counterpart to the Fire Slime.
Puddle slimes are a rare species of slime that live in fresh water pools found on the range. These slimes don't eat fruits, veggies, or meat like most other slimes. Instead, puddle slimes absorb water into their bodies while they sit on the surface of a pool.
Puddle slimes need fresh water to survive and will quickly evaporate if left on any other surface for too long.
Puddle slimes aren't risky to manage, they just require a fair bit of maintenance. A rancher needs a pool of fresh water, like a pond, available for a puddle slime and its plorts to sit in as they will evaporate if away from water.
Finally, puddle slimes are exceptionally shy and will not produce plorts if they are in close proximity to more than 3 other slimes.
Overall, a puddle slime is a better fit for a more experienced rancher, not one still wet behind the ears.
Puddle plorts are made almost entirely from an incredible hydro compound known by chemists across the galaxy as H2Ohhhhh. This compound is used to create an absurdly expensive brand of bottled drinking water that is sought after by the elite back on Earth. While some people argue that there is little difference in taste between it and tap water, those people seriously are not getting it.
Puddle Slimes are fairly unique in that they require bodies of water to survive and produce plorts. If left out of water they will despawn after approximately 30 in-game minutes, but can seek out a water source to keep hydrated if any is nearby. Once immersed in water, they will produce puddle plorts once every 6 hours. Ordinarily their plorts will last 24 hours, but will despawn after 30 minutes if not kept in water.Puddle Slimes can survive in any body of water that is not The Slime Sea - this includes Water Springs and desert fountains, but not inside the barrier of moisture of an Oasis. Despite the fountains producing Ancient Water, it will produce normal puddle plorts. A puddle slime has a shyness mechanic which stops it producing plorts - indicated by a blush - if there are more than three other slimes near it; this number is increased by one with a Rubber Ducky. In addition to this they have a plort cap of 8, which restricts how many times they will produce plorts per day; if there are 9 or more plorts in the immediate area they will cease production until the current batch despawns or are removed, and will continue producing plorts again on their next "feed".
Puddle Slimes will leap towards any slime toy, but their shyness cap will only be increased with the Rubber Ducky. They can be indefinitely kept on a Slime Stage to no detriment to themselves, and can be applied with Fashion Pods. Despite their diet of water, tarr can consume puddle slimes without taking damage.
- Puddle Slimes are low maintenance and Ponds are a one-time investment with no upgrades, which makes Puddle Slimes a decent, low effort source of income.
- When 4 puddle slimes are kept in a Pond, they will produce three batches of plorts in one day. When 5 puddle slimes are kept, they will produce two. Due to this, it may be more beneficial to only keep four slimes, rather than five.
- 1.3.0 - Fixed bug where puddle and fire slimes sometimes did not properly notice that they weren’t on their preferred surface.
- 0.6.0 - Puddle Plorts no longer splash on contact with dry land and despawn after some time like regular Plorts.
- 0.5.1c - Puddle Plorts no longer pop on contact with Slime Toys; in particular the Rubber Ducky.
- 0.4.2 - Puddle Slimes are now less likely to hang out in the corners of Ponds, and dehydration logic changes so they will no longer despawn when in contact with other Slimes while in water.
- 0.3.7 - Puddle slimes will now dramatically reduce their plort production when 8 Puddle Plorts are nearby.
- 0.3.4 - Puddle slimes now blush when they become too shy to make plorts.
- 0.3.0 - Puddle Slimes receive a complete overhaul that adds behaviors to reflect their shy nature; including ceasing Plort production they are in close proximity to 3 other Slimes.
- 0.3.0b - Fixed issue with puddle slime pathfinding.
- 0.3.0c - Fixed bug where Puddle Slimes on Low Model Quality did not have eyes.
- 0.2.5 - Puddle Plorts no longer splash when sent into the Plort Market.
- 0.2.4 - Puddle plorts have a splash effect now after disappearing.
- 0.2.0 - Puddle slime are added; they use a placeholder model heavily resembling a blue Pink Slime.
- Puddle Slimes can not naturally get above 20% permanent Agitation without Tangle Slime pollen. They would despawn before this happened.
- A Puddle Slime's leap towards a toy will not unlock the Boop! achievement.