They are too big to be stored in the vacpack, but can be held onto the nozzle and launched against a wall to break them open. They can also be broken by letting them drop from a great height, or being shot with any resources, with the exception of Echoes and Ornaments.
As well as being randomly found in specific locations, they can also be found in packs of 2 or 3 after bursting a Gordo - both wild and snared. They are also awarded on a successful trade at the Range Exchange which automatically break if allowed to drop to the floor. These crates contain the items presented on the trade window.
Crates despawn if not opened, so it is impossible to keep and collect crates and should instead be opened upon their discovery. All crates drop 4-6 items from their pool.
Slime Science Crates
Note: Only the Hunter Gordo, Crystal Gordo, all three Glass Desert gordos, and snared Gordos drop Slime Science crates.
Wiggly WonderlandWiggly Wonderland
Wiggly Wonderland added an additional drop to crates for a limited time: ornaments. They were available over the course of 13 days in December and January that drop alongside a crate's normal drops.
Party WeekendParty Weekend
Party Crates drop from the Party Gordo during the Party Weekend event and has a 50% chance to spawn in place of a normal crate. It only drops an ornament.
- 1.2.2 - Crates made to resemble presents can appear on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday local time which drop Party Gordo Ornaments. The crates can also be dropped by the Party Gordo.
- 1.2.0 - Fixed bug where Range Exchange crates would sometimes launch their contents aggressively on break.
- The contents of crates are only determined upon destruction, rather than upon generation. (Except the crates from Range Exchange)
- With the addition of v1.1.2 all crates drop one Ornament if opened between December 20th and January 1st, with the exception of the crates received from Range Exchange.
- No Crates can spawn in The Ancient Ruins Courtyard